Wednesday 20 November 2013

Independence Week- GENKHAN!

Khan Noonien HAIR!!!

Day two of Khan!

So I figured I’d just go ahead and get another Khan out of the way. You probably don’t have access to Khan because like me you weren’t able to get to GenCon to get your GenKhan (See what I did there?). Okay, here he is:

 Khan Singh (Independent/*PROMO*http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/images/smilies/a-team.gif
Captain Skill: 6
You do not pay a faction penalty when assigning Khan or any [ELITE TALENT] upgrade to your ship. If any Captain in play has a higher Skill Number than Khan, Khan's Skill Number equals that Captain's Skill Number.
Cost: 4
Elite Talent Upgrades: 1

GenKhan costs 4 pts to put on any ship in the game. That’s a two point savings over Regular Khan. GenKhan is also crying out for an off faction elite talent to be attached to him. It’s going to really depend on your build, but this Khan can be put on ships that don’t require Battlestations, so I’d look to a big klingon ship to throw him on.

With this Khan on a big klingon ship, I’d probably look towards Once More Unto the Breach, or even something like I stab at thee, which would be a nice threat deterrent. A Neg’Var is going to be a good choice for Khan, as would a Vor’Cha.

For his other special ability, you may want to consider running a high skill Captain such as Martok or Picard, to ensure that your Khan gets the most oomph out of his cards. Captain skill for Khan is a relative concept- he’s going to be moving and shooting last and first respectively, so you don’t have too much to worry about in the skill department.

My issue with GenKhan is twofold:

There isn’t a standout elite talent that I’m DYING to play with Khan. Martok won’t work with GenKhan, and you’ll only really have one action- and most of the elite talents require an action to activate.

Secondly, GenKhan is a promo card. This subject is going to rear its ugly head over and over again, but I am on the fence about whether this card should be allowed in tournament play. As I’ve stated before, I would encourage most tournament organizers to allow this card to be played in proxied form. I don’t think it’s an amazing captain, so you probably will see it played rarely, but there’s just no reason to have these kinds of one offs available only to those who are willing to pay a high price on Ebay for the card, or those lucky enough to get to GenCon to obtain one. This should be how all prize specific card upgrades are run- if you don’t have one, you can proxy it. You probably shouldn't allow proxied ships in your tournaments, since everything on the table should be played as is, but I’d be fine with allowing my opponent to play Defense Condition One at their leisure, even if they didn't win a Ch’Tang.

There’s not a lot to say about GenKhan- I don’t really recommend the purchase as I don’t see that he brings a lot to a list besides skill insurance, and I’d really rather pay some extra points for Captains that open up different action possibilities.

9 comments:

  1. I have a soft spot for thematic builds. I love to take Khan just to be able to scowl across the board, "To the last, I grapple with thee. From hell's heart, I stab at thee!". Or, to take Chang on the Kronos One and announce 'Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more ..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. The completionist in me wants to order that card. Part of me thinks he would be ok in a Romulan fleet. Romulan need a higher captain skill. But at that point just take Picard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I think I need to pick one up, just for my collection!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I inadvertently removed this comment. Apologies to the author.

      Delete
  4. I like this Khan. If you like to Picard like I do he is really good. He makes for a discount tier 9 if used right. Take this khan and drop him your 2nd ship.

    For OP3 he is good if you run Kirk or Picard to ensure that you are taking the right action: beam down troops or prepare to fire on target.

    Promo Khan has to be judged against a list as whole to see if he is good or bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this Khan. If you like to Picard like I do he is really good. He makes for a discount tier 9 if used right. Take this khan and drop him your 2nd ship.

    For OP3 he is good if you run Kirk or Picard to ensure that you are taking the right action: beam down troops or prepare to fire on target.

    Promo Khan has to be judged against a list as whole to see if he is good or bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the entire independent faction has been I'll conceived to date. They shouldn't cost an extra point to equip on aligned ships.

    I'd rather have genkhan on a relatively inexpensive but important ship. You're right that he should go in a list with Picard, or should be on your biggest ship in a swarm list.

    ReplyDelete